Before a set is made for a production a set designer creates a design for a model box built to the scale of the theatre. Usually this model box is exactly 25 times smaller than the real size of the theatre. The purpose of this step in the design process is to give the creative and production team a chance to review the design before it is constructed. The model box provides specific information about texture, materials, look and detail of a set.
Below are some example model boxes for past Belvoir productions. The numbers on the captions correspond to the numbers on the photos once you click on them and they open in the lightbox.
1. Private Lives model box by Ralph Myers, 2012.
2. Strange Interlude model box by Robert Cousins, 2012.
3. Babyteeth model box by Robert Cousins, 2012.
4. As You Like It model box by Alistair Watts, 2011.
5. Summer of the Seventeenth Doll model box by Ralph Myers, 2011.
6. Neighbourhood Watch model box by Dale Ferguson, 2011.
7. The Business model box by Victoria Lamb, 2011.
8. The Seagull model box by Ralph Myers, 2011.
9. Gwen in Purgatory model box by Stephen Curtis, 2010.
10. Measure for Measure model box by Ralph Myers, 2010.
11. The Power of Yes model box by Dale Ferguson, 2010.
12. Love Me Tender model box by Adam Gardnir, 2010.
13. That Face model box by Brian Thomson, 2010.
14. The Man from Mukinupin model box by Richard Roberts, 2008.
15. Ruben Guthrie model box by Jacob Nash, 2008.
16. Yibiyung model box by Jacob Nash, 2008.
17. Scorched model box by Stephen Curtis, 2008.
18. The Pillowman model box by Nicholas Dare, 2008.
19. Beautiful One Day model box by Ruby Langton-Batty, 2012.
20. Peter Pan model box by Robert Cousins, 2013.
21. Cat On A Hot Tin Roof model box by Robert Cousins, 2013.
22. Angels In America model box by Michael Hankin, 2013.
23. Forget Me Not set references by Dan Potra, 2013.
24 – 35. Angels In America set references by Michael Hankin, 2013.
36. Hedda Gabler model box by Dayna Morrissey 2014.
36. Medea model box by Mel Page, 2012.
37 & 38. The Dark Room model box by Michael Hankin, 2011.
39. Windmill Baby model box by Ruby Langton-Batty, 2011.
40. This Heaven set references by Sophie Fletcher and Alice Babidge, 2013.
Upstairs Theatre model boxes and set references
Downstairs Theatre model boxes and set references
Building the set for And They Called Him Mr Glamour (2011) by Co-designers Thomas M. Wright & Peter Trott and Lighting Designer Govin Ruben
The set in action for The Wizard of Oz (2015). Set Designer Ralph Myers Costume Designer Kate Davis
Set Design Workshop
Find out how to arrange a Set Design workshop at your school here.