In a “normal” year, when our theatre is open, Belvoir’s Education program provides:
• Access to a high quality arts experience for around 9,000 young people.
• Free access to theatre for 750 high school students from low advantage communities in NSW each year and heavily subsidised access for over 2,000 students.
• Free and subsidised workshops to over 500 high school students in Western Sydney and workshops for 750 students in regional NSW.
• A unique Theatre Enrichment scheme featuring free workshops exploring the ideas and concepts in a Belvoir production for up to 300 high school students in Western Sydney and regional NSW.
• Belvoir has continued to deliver our program virtually, during the COVID-19 lockdowns, including the live recording of two Belvoir productions exclusively for schools.
I am grateful for all of the opportunities Belvoir has provided to my students, especially this year, as I know that the company has faced incredible battles. Their dedication to assisting drama students and teachers is outstanding!
– Teacher, Wiley Park Girls High School
During lockdown, when our theatre was dark, we ‘pivoted’ to provide:
• A full suite of digital workshops (developed in 2020’s lockdown) ready to roll out in 2021.
• Curriculum-linked workshops in performance, writing and design adapted for digital delivery.
• Digital delivery, expanding the reach of our workshops and allow them to continue within COVID-19 restrictions.
• Employment and training for artists to share their skills in a digital school holiday program for students from across Australia – and Papua New Guinea!
• A series of interactive digital slide shows specifically for an online audience
• Four new workshops: Building a Character, Exploring Neighbourhood Watch, Exploring the Lieutenant of Inishmore and Making a Monologue. Each can be delivered in person or digitally.
• Professional Learning Program for teachers – workshops in 2020 were run entirely online; 27% of participants were from outside of Greater Sydney. Professional Learning workshops in 2021 will also be run online.
• School Holiday Workshop Program – additional digital school holiday workshops added at short notice in July 2021 as a response to the lockdown in Greater Sydney (Regional: Narromine, Dubbo, Byron Bay, Port Macquarie and Illawarra; Interstate: South Australia and ACT; International: Papua New Guinea)
• Belvoir invested in the filming of two Belvoir productions: A Room of One’s Own and My Brilliant Career. These two Recorded Live Performances are available exclusively for schools.
• A virtual tour of Belvoir, available on our website for students, teachers and interested members of the public
• Free digital resources for schools – popular Learning Resources from past productions were updated and a Performing Monologues video resource was produced at the height of the lockdown.
I am preparing a unit of work for the first four weeks of online learning this term and your videos and worksheet on performing monologues is ONE OF THE BEST resources provided for teachers during this time. Teacher feedback
This program really helps to ‘even the playing field’. You have inspired and motivated my students in the power of the arts. Thank you Teacher, Canley Vale High School, South Western Sydney
For further information or to discuss making a philanthropic gift to Belvoir’s Education Program, email [email protected] or call us on (02) 8396 6225