Theatre has paused but it hasn’t ended. We are doing everything we can to keep artists at work, and keep making theatre for when this thing is over. We have improvised a creative development program called Artists at Work, and we are using this Covid pause to look for new ways to tell new stories.
Thanks to the generosity of a private philanthropic foundation we are extending Artists at Work to our peers in the indie and small-to-medium sectors. Belvoir is now seeking Expressions of Interest for a series of one-off, quick response grants for short-term residencies at Belvoir. We are looking for ambitious new ideas for new work from independent artistic teams.
This is a one-off, quick response program, which is designed specifically to provide opportunity and relief to artists during this crisis and recovery.
Now is the time for new ideas. New stories. New ways of working. Time to change some things and fix some things.
Expressions of interest will be shortlisted in late June by the Belvoir Artistic and Programming Team. Residencies will take place in July – August. Please submit your EOI to [email protected] by midnight, Sunday 14th June.
WHAT WE ARE OFFERING
- A series of $5000 grants, 100% of which must go towards paying the artists.
- Free access to the Downstairs Theatre. Weeks are available across July/August.
- Basic office and production support.
- An opportunity to present a work in progress showing at the end of your development week to staff from Belvoir’s Artistic and Programming team [but probably not the whole staff].
WHAT WE EXPECT
- The rigorous development and exploration of new plays or works of theatre.
- The grant is to go towards putting money in artists’ pockets for meaningful work. All participants to be paid equally.
- The theatre to be returned to the state it was found in.
Expressions of interest
All expressions of interest must be 1 page max. (plus, 1 additional page for bios and an optional 2 page script sample).
- Describe the project. What is it? Why now?
- What do the key creatives hope to get out of this experience?
- Who are the key creatives you will be collaborating with? (Please write who is confirmed in brackets after their name).
- What does your ideal theatre look like in a post-covid world?
How to Apply
Please submit your EOI to [email protected] by midnight, Sunday 14th June.